Immigration Lawyer for Canada and the USA Serving Canadian companies

Work Permits

Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)

There are several temporary work permits available in Canada. Usually, the Canadian employer will need to get a Labour Market Impact Assessment from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada to hire a foreign worker. This process requires a lot of attention and may cause additional delay for the company and the worker.  It is important to be aware of the requirements before presenting such request.

Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) Exemption

Sometimes, your organization might be able to hire a foreign worker without having to request a labour market impact assessment. The foreign worker must enter into one of the categories listed in the laws and regulations. These labour market exemptions greatly help the recruitment of a foreign worker but they have to be identified and properly presented to the government authorities. We can help!

In all cases, the foreign worker will need to go through a security check as he will pass the Canadian border. In some cases, he will also have to pass a medical examination for immigration purposes. The medical exam will most likely delay the application process, so you better be aware of it.  You must also verify if you require a Canadian Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) issued by an embassy outside Canada before you come to Canada. Let us guide you!